To All Teachers In Arizona and Europe

Dear Sisters and Brothers in Academia -

I salute you all.

Ignorance would have swallowed up entire nations had it not been for your long hours of dedication, patience, direction, and compassion. Had I inherited the occupation of my father, I would have blossomed into a seasoned professor like him. But instead, I chose to take the bull by the horns, to wear many hats while jumping cruise ships around the world  - not knowing that one day I would be the captain of the SS ARIZONA.

I come from a family of educators and have been educated in both the American and European school systems. And from my experience abroad during my youth, I know the British school system is much more advanced than that of my Ohio suburban upbringing. While we were still learning shapes in kindergarten, kids were already learning division and multiplication in Switzerland. This is why I'm addressing both American and European teachers. I would like to create a bridge between schools in the UK and the state of Arizona. To share lessons and teaching styles with each other. To teach in both countries. They learn from us. We learn from them. We accelerate with them, they slow down for us. We move forward together and grow. And so on.

In addition, I am going to push for raising the bar for better teachers. It's not fair for someone without a college education to be earning the same as someone still paying for their college education. Right or wrong? Some may argue that a teacher with a certificate can do a better job than one with a degree.

And I would disagree. Which one would you want teaching your child?

I am for smaller classrooms. Better quality teachers. Higher Pay. Better incentives to stay. A performance grading system for state promotions. More state activities to engage students and teachers in various competitions and events in the classroom - and with other schools. I am for a U.S-British Teacher Exchange Program where at least 3 teachers from every city across Arizona will be sent overseas to teach, and in exchange - we will host their teachers in our communities and schools.

If we do not want ignorance to plague our state, we need better teachers;. Therefore, teachers deserve BETTER. Am I not right? There is nothing that will excite a child to want to go to school more than a good teacher.  Yet to keep teachers excited to teach, they need to feel appreciated, secure and adequately rewarded. If we want our kids to matter to them, we must show them that they also matter to US.

My fellow teachers, there is no more rewarding job on earth than TEACHING. Teachers are given the opportunity to craft and enrich future minds. They have the power to turn children into great human beings -- or miserable little dictators. TEACHERS have the power to convert a bully into a a good guy - or a good into a bully. You have so much more power than you know. Think about this one for a minute.

And lastly -

Teachers should be paid according to their training - not below. If salaries and incentives were more enticing to interviewees, we would have more teachers lined up at the door to teach our children - not out forever. Having the very best teachers is a top priority for me. If we are to know a tree by its fruit, then why are we neglecting the orchards? If you want your seed to be a premium being, then why are we not handsomely feeding the trees?

TO MY BEAUTIFUL TEACHERS AROUND THE WORLD. YOU ARE THE RICHEST APPLES ON THE TREE OF ALL OF EXISTENCE. AND HENCE, I BOW HUMBLY BEFORE ALL OF YOU.

There would be more way, way more trees in our forests without you -- but very, very few leaders, heroes, and books.

Truly,

Suzy Kassem, the future governor of Arizona